So you’re looking for ways to fall asleep faster and sleep sounder? Well it would make sense that you’re on sleepyhead’s website! If you don’t have any sleepyhead around though here are five tips we like for getting a better night of sleep.
1. It may seem intuitive, but getting a peaceful night of sleep starts with setting up a peaceful environment in which to sleep. Keep the temperature of your bedroom cool, remove television, radio and computer distractions, keep your room as dark as possible, wash your sheets and pillow cases regularly. Basically, create an atmosphere free of distractions to improve your quality of sleep.
2. Get on a schedule. Try falling asleep and waking up everyday at the same time. Doing this can get your circadian rhythm (sleep cycle) on track and actually help you go to sleep at night and wake up refreshed.
3. Obviously you want to avoid caffeine at night due to the fact that it’s a stimulant, what you may not realize though is that nicotine and alcohol are also disrupters of sleep. That last cigarette before bed, that glass of wine you think will help you sleep, that last cup of coffee at work… they can all make it harder to fall asleep and get quality sleep.
4. Start a nighttime ritual to go to sleep… doing this will help clear your mind and tell your body its time to go to sleep. Your routine for better sleep can be as simple as taking a shower (or bath), setting your alarm, reading for 15 minutes, then turning off the lights.
5. Exercise. It turns out exercise can also help individuals fall asleep faster and improve overall sleep quality. It doesn’t have to be intense workouts either. 20-30 minutes a day of walking or riding a bike is all it takes. If you want to take it to the next level you can hire a certified personal trainer. Just try to get it done in the morning or afternoon. Working out at night can leave people a little too energized and make it harder to fall asleep.