Sometimes your internal clock is completely screwed up. There are a million reasons why. Everyone has their own.
Regardless of how you got here, you're here. Now here are a couple things you can do to to help your body relax and fall asleep faster. Here are four techniques to put and end to your sleeplessness.
1. Muscle Relaxation - If you’ve ever taken a yoga class you might be familiar with this. While lying in your bed, flex the muscles in your toes… then relax them. Next your calves, then your thighs, and so on to the top of your head. This should create a sense of calm and relaxation by the time you’re done… perfect for falling asleep.
2. Aroma Therapy - Certain scents have been shown to have a calming effect on the body. Lavender is a good scent to test out first, but go with whatever scent helps you relax and fall asleep.
3. Focus on Your Breathing - Try taking slow deep breaths. Focus on the air running through your nose. It should calm your body down and put you in the right frame of mind for sleep.
4. Visualize Something Peaceful - The wise Adam Sandler said in Happy Gilmore, "Find a happy place." Focus on something that is very calming to you… a setting, a certain memory. Focus on the details and wait for any anxiety to melt away.
5. Use a Supplement - Kickstart your clock with a supplement. Some people can't sleep because their bodies aren't getting/producing what they need to sleep. A sleep supplement may fill in the gaps. Something like Sleepyhead is contains a handful of natural sleep supplements, mainly melatonin, GABA, valerian root, calcium and magnesium.
Couple these suggestions with a warm sleepyhead and you'll squash those pesky thoughts and get to sleep.